CALIFORNIA DREAMIN': THE SOUNDS OF LAUREL CANYON, 1965-1977
The GRAMMY Museum is pleased to present California Dreamin’: The Sounds of Laurel Canyon, 1965 - 1977, an exhibition that opened on May 9, 2014. This exhibition explores the story of the Los Angeles rock scene from the mid-1960s to mid-1970s, a golden age of music, creativity and culture.
“Laurel Canyon was as much a mindset as it was a music scene,” said GRAMMY Museum executive director Bob Santelli. “The remarkably rich sounds of Laurel Canyon and the sheer number of songwriters, bands, producers, artists, engineers and record company people who have lived and worked out of Laurel Canyon prove that Los Angeles is and continues to be a vital rock scene. We felt it was important to tell that story, right here in our hometown.”
Through rare artifacts from iconic acts, interactive experiences, handwritten lyrics, photographs and more, the exhibit teachs visitors about the origins of the Laurel Canyon scene, and how it developed into a thriving music epicenter. On display, visitors can see a broad array of items, including:
- Richie Furay’s (Poco) 1970s “Nudie” Suit;
- Costumes, instruments and ephemera from the Modern Folk Quartet;
- Jim Morrison’s (The Doors) writing chair;
- Arthur Lee's (Love) 6 String Flying V guitar;
- Cass Elliot’s (The Mamas and the Papas) c.1960s, hand painted chair;
- Original photography of Henry Diltz and Graham Nash from the era;
- Exclusive interviews with various artists and industry experts;
- Original menus, scrapbooks, handbills, and posters;
- And more!
Book A Group Tour
Group tours of The Museum can be arranged. Please contact our Group Sales Department at 213.763.7923 or submit your group tour request online
Lamp Post Banners
Currently, The Museum has California Dreamin': The Sounds of Laurel Canyon, 1965-1977 exhibit lamp post banners up around Los Angeles. The three different designs feature iconic photographs of Jim Morrison, Frank Zappa, and Joni MItchell taken by Henry Diltz. In the event that these banners become for sale, be the first to know! Sign up for our newsletter here!